How to Choose the Perfect Promotional Product for Your Business
by Chico Orange
Here at Citrus.ph, we love talking about the different promotional ideas you can use to advertise your business. But how do you decide which product or idea is The One?
Here are some tips for choosing the perfect promotional product.
1. Always think of the end user first. Sure, you might fall in love with a particular promotional item, but that doesn’t mean your customers, prospects, or employees will feel the same way. You always need to think about your customers and prospects first.
For example, if you own a technology company, you might have more USB drives than you know what to do with, so that sort of promo item might not be exciting to you. But to your prospects, customized USB drives could be exactly what they need. (Or even a technology case to keep attachments or cords together.)
2. Remember, your message is priority! For example, let’s say you work for a bank and your message involves promoting huge interest rate savings. How could you creatively relay that message? Think out of the box. We would suggest a pizza slicer for the promotional product offering. Why would a bank want to give away a pizza slicer? Two reasons:
- People will likely use this product over and over again.
- You can get creative with the message you use on the product—perhaps something like, “Let us help you SLICE your interest rates.”
The combination of the product and the message can really get your point across.
3. Have a sense of your budget before you start searching products. Nothing is worse than falling in love with a specific item only to find that it doesn’t work with your budget. Make sure you know how many items you need and the highest price point you’re willing to go for each item (and keep in mind the cost of imprinting and shipping, too).
4. Consider function. The best promotional products have regular everyday uses. That’s one reason why custom calendars, stylus pens, drinkware, houseware items, and tote bags are always so popular. They’re items people need and use every day.
5. Keep marketing and sales objectives in mind. For example, perhaps you need a product that your reps leave behind after sales calls. Maybe you also need a fun promotional prize that your marketing folks can hand out at events. And, of course, you need to consider swag for goodie bags at charity events.
If you keep these objectives in mind as you begin researching promotional products, you could very well find one perfect item that meets all three objectives. (Of course, it’s perfectly OK if you end up choosing different products for different goals.)
6. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We actually wish more customers would take advantage of our live chat feature and our friendly customer service representatives. Our reps love to help customers choose the perfect promotional product. They have a good sense of what works for different industries, they know how to help you get the biggest bang for your buck, and if you’re stuck in general, they can gently guide you down the right path.
7. Keep your messaging in mind. Longer messages require more imprint space. So if you want to include a logo, company name, address, phone number, website, email, and tagline, you won’t be able to fit all of that comfortably on a pen, for example.
8. Read reviews. Reviews tell you more than simply how fast the item was shipped or how the imprint looks. Many times, promotional product reviews provide ideas about how to use different products in your marketing.
Need more help? Leave your question in the comments, or contact us. We’re always happy to help!
October 29, 2020
October 29, 2020